Unaccompanied Minors (Below 12 Years)
It can be an intimidating experience for your child to travel alone. But, you do not need to worry. When your child needs to travel solo, you can be assured that we will make sure his/her journey will be safe and enjoyable. Our employees will make sure your child is taken care of during check-in, at the time of boarding, in the air, arriving at the airport and until they are picked up by his/her respective parent/guardian.
We provide unaccompanied minor assistance for children between 5 to 12 years of age at the time of travel. Please note that children below 5 years of age must be accompanied by a parent or legal guardian or a trusted person who is over 18 years of age.
|Under 5 years of age
|Not permitted to travel alone
|From 5 - 12 years of age
Must be accompanied by a passenger of 18 years and above
The child is permitted to travel alone, but prior information must be provided
Procedures for unaccompanied minor travel must be fulfilled
|From 12 years and above
Once the child has reached an age above 12 years old, he/she will be treated as a young passenger.
You can request for assistance if it is required - procedures for unaccompanied minor travel must be fulfilled.
- Prior information must be provided at the time of booking, that unaccompanied minor service is required or simply request can be done using "Special Assistance" while booking tickets in our website and mobile app.
- A child less than 12 years will be treated as an unaccompanied minor even if he/she is accompanied by a passenger who is 13 years old, but less than 18 years old.
- We do not transfer an unaccompanied minor to the international terminal for a flight connection to international destinations.
- The parent/guardian will need to fill in three copies of the "Unaccompanied Minor Form." If the unaccompanied minor is travelling to two destinations where a change of aircraft is involved, two sets of forms must be filled.
What Do We Do For Unaccompanied Minors?
- We will not allocate Emergency exit row seats for children and unaccompanied minors.
- A child will be seated in a separate seat, accompanied by an adult (18 years and above), who must be seated next to the child.
- An unaccompanied minor will be pre-boarded (whenever possible) and handed over to our Cabin Crew In-Charge (CCIC) who will sign and return a copy of the unaccompanied minor form and retain the two other copies.
- On arrival, our Cabin Crew In-Charge (CCIC) will hand over the unaccompanied minor with the necessary travel documents to our ground staff. The ground staff will sign one copy of the unaccompanied minor form and hand it back to the CCIC.
- In case there is a diversion which necessitates an overnight stay, a female staff of Buddha Air will stay with the unaccompanied minor in the hotel until the departure of the flight. We will inform the parent/guardian of the origin destination of the situation.
- Our customer service agent will hand over the unaccompanied minor to the custodian who has come to receive the unaccompanied minor after a thorough and proper verification of custodian's valid photo ID. The custodian will also have to sign on the unaccompanied minor form. The form will be kept at the station for a period of 6 months.
Travel Tips for Unaccompanied Minor
- Valid photo IDs for unaccompanied minor, parent(s) or guardian and custodian are required at the point of check-in.
- Explain to the unaccompanied minor the basic procedures that need to be done at the airport like going through security, check-in, etc.
- To make sure that your child has a comfortable flight, we request you to pack the necessary items in their hand baggage.
- The guardian/parent must be accessible by phone when the child is travelling alone with us.
- Write down important phone numbers that the unaccompanied minor will need to contact in case of an emergency.
- Sometimes, there could be changes in the flight timings. Please ensure that you keep updated about the child's flight timings. You can check the flight status on our mobile app.
- The custodian must inform the parent/guardian from the originating airport that their child has been picked up.
- If possible, please ensure that the parent/guardian is at the airport until the flight departs. You should arrange your schedule so you can remain at the airport until the flight departs.
- Make sure you know all the details of your child's flight itinerary. The same information must also be available to the parent/guardian who will receive your child at the arriving airport.